Experience Sparhawk First-Hand!
Visit Day Guidelines:
- Scheduling: To schedule your shadow day, please contact us, and we will find a mutually convenient day when school is in session. We encourage students to shadow for the entire school day, to get the most out of the experience.
- Visiting Student Waiver: Before arriving at Sparhawk, please complete the Visiting Student Waiver form.
- Arrival: Student visitors should arrive by 8:10am. They (and their parents!) are welcome to arrive as early as 7:45am to explore the grounds.
- Dress Code: Visitors are encouraged to dress as Sparhawk students. For 3rd-7th graders this means a dress shirt, tie, slacks, and dress shoes (loosely defined, of course, for our younger boys—hiking boots are fine!). 8th Graders follow similar guidelines, but also wear a blazer. If you don’t have a blazer, please don’t purchase one just for the shadow day!
- What should I bring? Visitors should bring a writing implement, lunch, and a change of clothes for gym. Please note that gym class goes outside every day, so students should dress appropriately. In the fall, this means t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. In the winter, students should come prepared for cold weather: boots, snow pants, jacket, hat, and gloves.
- Pick-up: Pick-up is at 3:15, though we ask your patience as some teachers are so enthusiastic about their material that they may finish class a minute or two late. Students are welcome to stay and run around the grounds until 3:45pm.
- Weather delays and cancellations: Here is our inclement weather policy. If school is cancelled, we will be in touch with you the day after the scheduled visit to put another date on the calendar. Of course, if we are not closed but you don’t feel it prudent to visit in light of weather conditions, feel free to reschedule your visit. We’re happy to help you find a more convenient time.
Tips for a successful shadow day:
- Introduce yourself to our teachers. They will likely reach out to you first, but, just in case they don’t, make sure you say hello. Ask any Sparhawk Minuteman and he will tell you that the best part about our school isn’t the curriculum, the grounds, or the lunch, it’s our teachers! Take the time to get to know them.
- If you have any extracurricular interests, please tell us when you arrive in the morning. We’ll do our best to introduce you to the different activities at the school.
- Try to relax. It’s never easy to be a visitor in a new school, but pretend that this is the beginning of your second year at Sparhawk. You’ll find that, notwithstanding the ties and blazers, ours is a relaxed environment where students are given a great deal of freedom to be themselves, explore the grounds, and interact with the faculty.
- Have fun! Your education, much like your future professional life, should be enjoyable!